Guildhall Heritage and Arts Centre

Go to content

Main menu:

The Exhibition Room
The Main Exhibition Room on the ground floor is the first part of the Centre visitors usually see. Just inside the entrance is the Centre's shop, a vital source of income offering a selection of locally themed gifts together with second-hand books and plants. Visitors will be greeted by one of the wonderful band of volunteers without whom the Centre could not function.

This room is the location of the Centre's main exhibition which runs throughout the season (April to October) sometimes for one year and sometimes for two seasons. See below for details of the current exhibition.

Privilege and Poverty

Unravelling the stories of Dulverton's Workhouse and its other fine houses
The second season for this exhibition features on Northmoor Estate and its history


An early photo of Northmoor Chapel with Northmoor House, Marsh Bridge Cottage and Marsh Bridge and an elarged view of the Chapel itself.  Circa 1880.
In 1888 John Locke built a gothic style Chapel of Ease at Marsh Bridge that could hold up to 60 people. Constructed mainly from local stone, it had a Chancel, Nave and West Turret, one bell, four stained glass windows and a heating system.

Sadly the Chapel burnt down at the turn of the century in mysterious circumstances. A Dulverton man was passing, saw smoke and raised the alarm. Unfortunately it was a Saturday night and the fire engine took a long time to arrive and even when they did, it is alleged they were unable to direct the hoses with any precision!
1856 - 1859John Arthur Locke built Northmoor House

1874The stable block was constructed

1888
John Arthur Locke died and the family moved to Broadhembury
1897
Sir Frederick Wills purchased Northmoor from the Estate of John Arthur Locke
Early 1900s
Chapel of Ease at Marsh Bridge burnt down

1922
Lt Col Roger Marriott Dodington purchased Northmoor
1926
Col and Mrs Clayton purchased Northmoor

1957
Col Clayton died but his widow and son, David, continued to live at Northmoor
1994
David Clayton sold the House and most of the Estate to a local land Company
1994
House and 100 acres sold to Ralph and Suzanne Nicholson
A timeline of Northmoor Estate
 
In 1936 Dot was employed at Northmoor as a kitchen maid.  She was paid £1 a month (plus her keep) and had one half day off each week.  She met and fell in love with the Butler – Charles Sainsbury - and had many years of happy marriage.  Jim Sainsbury our guide today is one of their three children and is a frequent visitor to Northmoor and he has spent many hours restoring the kitchen garden
 
For further information on Northmoor Estate – please visit our Main Exhibition room on the ground floor.   
 
We have original copies of sales particulars, documents and maps which can be inspected by appointment.  Please contact manager@dulvertonhertitagecentre.org.uk
 

 
Northmoor is a private house and the public are not permitted to visit.  However, the link will take you to their website.  https://www.northmoorhouse.co.uk/
 
 
We are very grateful to the Nicholson Family who support us and allow us to share information.


This exhibition was supported by Heritage Lottery Funding and ENPA Partnership Fund
Back to content | Back to main menu